It is that time of the year again to get your application to float Montana’s Smith River in to Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks (FWP).
FWP will begin taking applications January 3, 2012 through February 15, 2012. Drawing results will be posted online February 28, 2012. There is a $10 nonrefundable permit application fee.
Float permit applications are available here:
- FWP’s Automated Licensing System
- Through FWP regional or area offices
- Mail Application. Applications can be downloaded at link above or picked up at one of the regional/area offices
Important Smith River Float Permit Application Dates:
- January 3, 2012: The application period begins for Smith River permits and the Smith River Super Permit
- February 15, 2012: Deadline to apply for Smith River permit, post-marked on or before this date (application period for Super Permit remains open)
- February 28, 2012: Permit lottery results available online (successful applicants will also be notified through the mail)
- March 15, 2012: Deadline to purchase Super Permit chance
- March 19, 2012: Super Permit Drawing
In addition to the regular private float trip permits, FWP will issue one Super Permit each year through a separate lottery. The recipient of the permit will be allowed to launch on any date of their choosing for that year. There is no limit to the number of chances someone may purchase ($5 per chance). All proceeds from the sale of Super Permit chances will be deposited in the Smith River Corridor Enhancement Account.